‘IP’ stands for Internet Protocol. This internet protocol address identifies a device on the net or a local network, and in fact, printers have IP addresses. Wireless printers, would anyone think of that? Technology! What an excellent field.
- Read More – How To Fix Errors On Torrents
- Read More – Audio and Video Errors Which you Don’t Want on PC
Resolving technical issues of a printer usually starts by knowing the IP address of a computer. Most troubleshoots are created at this. The printer’s IP address is a 12 digit number used to connect it to the internet.192.168.1.20 IP address is much more known for being a fragment of the class C network. If you successfully connect with the system, then the device will automatically direct you to the desired IP address.
Knowing the IP address of a printer comes in good use when from any computer. One has to type the ping command on the command prompt. Understanding the printer’s IP address also helps set up the printer through any computer or a smartphone connected to the network.
The following information will consist of processes and methods to figure out and find the IP address.
Finding the IP address using the printer itself:
Most of today’s printers have their network setting in “preferences” or “options,” which is found under the printer menu. The IP address usually appears to be at the top of the network settings page, but it can also be found by going through the sub-menus if it is not available. The wireless router usually assigns the IP address to the devices that connect to the network.
Finding the IP address using your computer:
The IP address can also be found through the computer on which the printer is set up. The following steps consist of finding the printer’s IP address to the computer it is set up to.
On windows, one has to open the control panel and right-click on the ‘device and printers’ and select ‘properties.’ Two display tabs pop up on the screen, each showing the type of port the printer uses, showing how the printer establishes a connection with the given computer. Printers use two types of ports;
1) Web Service for Device technology (WSD port) or
2) TCP/IP port.
The printer can be connected to the computer using either one of these ports. If the printer is connected to the laptop using the Web Service for Device technology (WSD port), the ‘web services’ tab must be selected, and the IP address will be listed under the ‘IP address fields.’ Another possible outcome while finding out the computer’s IP address is that the ‘Web Service’ tab is not popping up.
In this case, the printer establishes a connection with the computer using the TCP/IP port, making it possible to find the printer’s IP address in ‘Printer Properties.’
In the control panel, after choosing ‘device and printers,’ ‘properties’ should be selected after right-clicking ‘device and printers.’ Then, the IP address is displayed in the port field after selecting the ports tab. If the printer’s IP address is not visible yet, the port can be configured to see the IP address configured for that printer.
(NOTE: for MAC users, the IP address may not be visible)
Finding the IP address using the command prompt:
Another method to find the IP address of a printer is by using the command prompt. (Using Windows)
– Click on the ‘Start menu and type ‘command prompt,’ and select it
– Type and enter ‘netstat -re, and the IP address will show up on the display if the printer has established a connection with the laptop through the TCP/IP port.
– Type and enter ‘localhost:631/printers’ on safari, and the result on the screen shows the available printers and the associated IP addresses. The printer’s IP address will appear in the ‘location’ column if the printers are available.
– Enter ping ‘your printer—local’ where “your printer” is the alphanumeric expression. (EG: ipp://yourprinter.local.:372/ipp/port1)
Finding the IP address of the printer using the router:
If none of the options mentioned above work, the remaining option is to find the printer’s IP address using the router itself.
The printer’s IP address will be registered under a connected device as the router manages all the network traffic. To find the printer’s IP address using the router, one must log in to the router; for this, the administrator login details will be required. This information is not known to you. The person who set up the router will have the facts.
To find the printer’s IP address, the default gateway IP address must be known, which is http://10.1.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1.
– Click on the ‘start menu and search for the command prompt
– Enter ‘config in the command prompt and note the default gateway IP address
– Open ‘system preferences,’ then open ‘network,’ then available ‘advanced,’ and finally open ‘TCP/IP.’ The default gateway IP address will be next to ‘router.’
– Open the web browser and type the default gateway IP address and in the router login screen, log in to the router with the given or obtained administrator login details.
– Select ‘connected devices in the router menu system
– Select the printer in the ‘host name’ field
– The printer’s IP address will be listed under the IPV4 address.